After having done extensive research on what lens to buy for portraits, I wound up purchasing theÂ Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens on Amazon.com. With 1,330 individual customer reviews and a combined 4.5 star rating (out of 5), I knew this was the one. Pictures of my family and those at social media events for my side project Socialrazzi would now look so much more professional!
Here are some quick stats on the lens:
- Focal length: 50mm
- Maximum aperture: 1:1.8
- Lens construction: 6 elements in 5 groups
- Diagonal angle of view: 46 degrees
- Focus adjustment: Overall linear extension system with Micromotor
- Closest focusing distance: 1.5 feet
- Filter size: 52mm
- Dimensions: 2.7 inches in diameter, 1.6 inches long
- Weight: 4.6 ounces
The primary reason I bought this lens was for it’s amazing depth of field. There just wasn’t any way to achieve that blurry look that so many professional photographers get in the background of their subjects with the stock lens I’ve been using. Now I can.